JN216 - Week 1

ABOUT ME

Hello, my name is Coen Olsen. I am a creative writing major, and this is my third year attending LBCC while working (part-time this term). While I love creative fiction and non-fiction, I've never moved into telling other people's stories. I'm hopeful that this class will help me find new tools to add to my writing toolbox and, maybe, a new passion. 

Outside of school and work - I enjoy e-bike rides along scenic routes on the outskirts of Corvallis (cheating, I know) and using old mail stamps for art (another blasphemy to traditionalists). The family dog, Sebastian (shown to the right), loves bike rides just as much as me. He probably hopes that the new puppy will never get to try riding in the basket!


MY GOALS


I could write myself to death, but when it comes to submitting pieces to publishers? I find myself doing *anything* else. With nothing on the line except maybes, I need a bit more than a shove. Passing classes is something that matters to me, so here I am to get over my fears of submitting pieces for scrutiny! 


Lacking greater than publishing are my interviewing skills. I have no practice, and without a current pressing need to do so, I have not gone out of the way (until now) to amend that. Even with writing removed from the equation, interview skills are very important and something I'd like to hone this term.


My final goal is to write more than needed. Nothing beats good ol' practice. 


MY FIRST NEWS STORY


For my first story, I'm heading to LBCC's community garden to learn about the poisonous hemlock problem and how the gardening club is dealing with it. I'll be speaking to Melinda Williams, gardening club student representative, and Alex Loveday, student staff and plant enthusiast, about the garden and club. I'll also be corresponding with Jim Looney, gardening club advisor, to find out more about what it was like before Williams and Loveday and what their graduation might bring considering their immense involvement.


Five questions I have in mind for this story are:

  1. How is the poisonous hemlock impacting the food grown in the community garden
  2. What can students do to help
  3. How can people get involved with garden if they're interested in growing plants of their own
  4. What is the history of the community garden
  5. What does the future have in store for when the current gardening club student representative graduates

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Linn-Benton Community College Students Wage War on Poisonous Plants

Linn-Benton Community College's GSA Club: A Small Look Into a Big Club